Wednesday, April 2, 2014

A New Day

I am in a rut. Comfortable, predictable, familiar…well you get the idea. So it may be time for an attitude adjustment.

This realization came to me yesterday, while walking a 13 year old four legged companion around her neighborhood for the umpteenth time this visit.  Once before breakfast and again in the cool of each evening, we journeyed around the circle drive of this middle income tract development.  Saw the same cars, cats, neighbors, flock of birds, blah, blah, blah…

Only my charge didn’t see it as routine or hum drum for that matter.  If her tail was any indication, she was excited and joyful at the frequent encounters found at the end of her leash. She stopped now and again, and because she is such a large dog, I had no choice but to stop along with her. (If she dug her front paws into the ground, there was no moving her).

I wonder why she had this viewpoint. As soon as she left the threshold of the back door, her tail started the dialogue and was quickly followed by hurried prancing down the front lawn and west. I allowed her to trot on the lawns of neighbors, always under my vigil (just in case).  Some dog walkers stay to the middle of the street, but paw pads are tender and thick sod is cool, wet grass delights.

As I kept aside of her, the leash would extend and contract.  Sometimes, if I wasn’t paying attention, the leash would jerk ME to a sudden “in the moment” and I would wait patiently until her curiosity was sated. I admit to not getting on my hands and knees to share in the excitement. I could imagine, however, that the samples were irresistible and she kept a mental filing cabinet of the chain of events.

She was learning about her world. Her points of reference are exactly the same as mine: sight, smell, hearing, taste, touch.  The five senses all firing at maximum efficiency.

She is aged (91 in people terms) and a lifelong student. I am decades younger and yet my curiosity is lessening day by day.

OMG – my “ah ha” moment…in retrospect, I have been going about this the wrong way.

If I could just immerse myself, soul, spirit, (whatever) in the moment and linger, my senses could fill with perfection and sustenance. I could join in the energies of the universe and appreciate my role and garner my purpose with a deep, cleansing breath. Heavy stuff, huh?

Well, I mean that following in her example, could lead to unexpected renewal of me. If my combined senses could experience the moment like a symphony in the midst of Rachmaninoff, I would more than exist. My life would extend beyond my thoughts and restrictions.  I could live joyfully.  I could welcome greatness in a single blade of grass. It’s worth trying. In fact, I am already piqued with anticipation…

I’ll have to thank her for teaching me.  I never expected such wisdom from a sweet old dog. As I place her collar gently around her neck and open the door, we’ll both go prancing down the front lawn and head in a westerly direction.  If we come across other dog walkers, a new unspoken conversation will ensue.  I’ll just wink knowing that they are in class too.


“Come on, Fergie, it’s time for another walk”.

No comments:

Post a Comment