Tuesday, May 28, 2019

The Cuteness Factor

     Can cuteness be a topic?  I have two answers...yes and definitely yes!  I try to write about antics or situations which highlighted my career. These two guys never got into any trouble. I didn't get
into any either when they were in my care.
     Cody and Cosby were a pair of mismatched terriers. Cosby was Cairn and Cody was a generic
blending of high energy and ear-splitting barks. Their favored outside entertainment included
hole digging and frog retrieval. Our back yard space was an eight-foot square slab of concrete bordered on two sides by sand and whatever grows in sand. An eight-foot fence defined the north end of the townhomes and separated a walking trail from the perimeter of a local special operations installation.
     Our walks didn't take us very far. Too far south and we'd intersect a four-lane highway.  Almost at our immediate west end was US Air Force property. I was not terribly familiar with the neighborhood. It seemed safe enough, street lights were plentiful and there was a large auto detail shop nearest to the main highway. We could walk on the trail during the day and venture across the lit parking lot to another townhome complex after sundown. No real route to any advertised trouble. It was comforting to see other walkers following similar pathways. At least I knew we weren't in the twilight zone.
     Walking with two dogs on retractable leashes could be comical at times. I really didn't have a lead dog which meant I didn't have a follower. The dogs wanted to be on their own scent trails. We would
begin the journey in a line and in an amoeba-like fashion, the leashes would extend their full length and I would suddenly be the blob in the middle. I didn't mind being central to what was going on to either side of me; remembering to adjust the leash to manual control kept the dogs within my field of vision and I never had to switch to my driving glasses.
     Every time we returned, Cosby knew it was time for sand burr inspection. He usually had a couple of them buried in between his pads. They're nasty and require skill in removing them and leaving the dog's hair on the dog. Cody never had any.
     One afternoon, we walked further up the trail along the Air Force perimeter fence and came upon
a group of bikers on a picnic of sorts.  Why they didn't seek out more appropriate accommodations upset me. They were loud, drunk and their bikes were stacked to prevent walking past the group.
I mean how many motorcycles can you stack side by side in a space of maybe fifteen feet wide? The answer was seven. One woman and two small dogs couldn't squeeze around them. We turned around, marched out of listening distance and I dialed the police.
   Another time along the trail, we met a fairly long black racer. I didn't know they slithered up trees!
This one did and after the dogs exhausted their efforts to climb up after it, we continued our
designated path. I admit I was breathless for a few minutes, but having lived in this state and having had relatives of his in my own back yard, I knew we were not in any danger.
     Their inside lives were very structured. Kennels kept them safe. Mealtimes were scheduled
at 0530 and 1830 hours. The "L" shaped couch invited group hugs and an occasional group nap.
As is with the majority of my clients, this little family served with our armed forces. Our time together was crammed short between orders and I knew my pals would be packing and shipping out.
     The cuteness factor remains with me in my retirement years. Sometimes memories are
made from the experiences in life, other times all it takes is a pair of wagging tails.
   

   

No comments:

Post a Comment