Friday, May 24, 2019

The Tool Box

     A pet sitter's to do list would seem to be rather short, wouldn't it? You might expect feed and walk the dog and the additional chore of changing a cat's litter box. For the "in the tank" group, turn on the light and check the water temperature are essential details in the care of fish.
     What you may not realize is how carefully an experienced caregiver observes the animal's home. Patterns of the animal's life are evident in the details of the rooms it occupies. Sometimes, bedding
is laid out in deliberate layers to entice a nesting ritual.  Clippers, combs, and brushes are readily
available on the bathroom countertop. Pet shampoo bottles are set out right next to the people products in the master bathroom. Of course, the canisters and boxes of treats are always full and invite frequent inspection.
     Over the years, I have added a few tools that always traveled with me from home to home.  I found tweezers helpful in plying the sand burrs from tender paws and whiskers. Powders as remedies for skin irritations and hot spots on the bellies of long hair companions were packed in a small backpack. I carried blankets and a variety of collars and leashes.
     If the dog needed a manicure, a pumice stone worked well and it's a trick I've used for years on my own dogs. The buffing action is non-threatening and there is no motor which can set some breeds
on high alert.
     My toolbox also contained soothing music cd's which I would leave on for the in-between times before bedtime. Animals respond to music and in times when storms would roll in and out,
having a little white noise proved a useful anecdote.
     Rarely, did I have to take charge of an emergency, but I was fully prepared to do so. I wouldn't
take a job if the pet did not have routine veterinary care. Having lived with animals and
been the responsible party in the middle of the night visits to many an animal emergency clinic, my clients relied on my insight during the unexpected mishaps.
     A pet sitter may or may not have undergone certification to become a member of any professional
organization.  Many qualified animal companion care providers have obtained licensing through local
municipalities. Some, like me, have a combination - required paperwork, a lifetime of pet ownership and a toolbox filled with a few handy gadgets and a whole lot of love.

No comments:

Post a Comment