Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Pet sitter or Maybe Not

The strangest job I was hired to do had nothing to do with an animal.  The meet and greet with the home owner began without fanfare.  I HEARD the dog behind the closed door.  I HEARD the bird from the kitchen.  I SAW the bird in its cage. I SAW the bag of birdseed on the kitchen floor, propped up with the broom and dustpan.

My charges for the week were house plants. They were scattered on the patio in container vases, hanging baskets, and high above me on the pergola. The patio was not spacious.  The house was the same.

He agreed to pay my going rate, which at the time was unreasonably cheap.  I hadn't been in business too long and my daily charge was fixed so that even those on modest incomes could afford quality pet care.  It bothered me to know that animal companions were left on their own, sometimes for days, because the family simply couldn't afford to pay someone to provide care.  Anyway, back to the plants.

I don't quite recall that the specimens required specialized care.  Just water.  There was one exception, however, which made me uncomfortable.  Their child's science fair project involved a dozen styrofoam cups with seeds.  Six of which were to be kept out of natural sunlight.  The remaining
half dozen were on the kitchen counter.  The thesis had to do with natural sunlight verses incandescent lighting.  So, before I said good night to the outside plants, I had to remember to switch on the kitchen ceiling light.

I don't know what happened to their resident pets.  Not my concern.  I tell you, I didn't feel the need to stay my usual hour.  How much conversation can one have with a plant?  I'm sure they would have been an eager audience for story time. But, I wasn't feeling it.

Every day, I would fill the watering can with tap water and drench the dozen or so leafy beings.

Sadly, half the seeds didn't sprout.  I still carry that burden as I was never above a C in science class.
The little girl was very disappointed, but her dad explained what "experiment" meant.

My phone rang to announce that they were home. I was thanked for my time and attention
to the plants and a few days later, a check arrived.  No tip.  I guess the plants had nothing to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment