Monday, February 23, 2015

Change of Decor

Good first impressions are a survival tool in my profession.  Most of my customers are referred by either a local vet or current clientele. 

Charlie, Sammie, and Jesse lived as siblings in a large brick home in the country.  The subdivision was sprinkled with beautifully detailed custom builds, all centered on manicured lawns.  Neighbors busied themselves with weed whackers and bags of red cedar mulch at all times of the year.

I was introduced to these three during summer, 2008.  “Oh, what a lovely home and the white carpet is beautiful,” I said as I prepared to remove my shoes.  Hum, I wondered, does it clean well?  So as part of the interview process, I asked her (just in case of an accident).  Were there preferred cleaning supplies? Everything I needed was in the laundry room off the main hallway to the master. Good, I thought…just in case.

Months passed and she called to reserve a few days.

Now you realize that pets have their routines and pet sitters must have great patience and flexibility. Sammie (the Westie and Charley (the golden Lab),  loved their back yard.  Jesse never gave me her feline perspective, but she was allowed out and always found her way home…eventually. Lawn extended from patio north to about ¼ acre lot of forested area.  Garden gnomes kept vigil while entertaining the varied frog population. Charley, the old man of the family, was a sun worshiper.  I never worried about extended outside time as he would claim the sun rays either on grass or patio.

Sammie was happy to explore and I often located her simply by watching the tip of her tail dart between ferns, yucca and other native foliage in the no people zone behind the storage shed.

Afternoon visits were relaxed and trust soon entered the new relationship as I became their substitute family.  Their mistress was considerate of my time and always had notes for me, towels and other supplies on the ready, treats available and their leashes neatly folded in their designated spot at the front door.

This afternoon, I had a few other clients on my route and playtime/nap time was shortened to accommodate equal time at the other residences.  Opening the sliding glass door, I called them in.  Sammie scooted in first and dutifully stopped to have her feet wiped off, but either I was too slow or she was impatient with me and scooted between my legs to an unknown destination.  Charley, not so good with formality, walked right in, over the scatter rug and four paws proceeded across the white carpet in the direction of his preferred viewing spot at the dining room window.  This was geographically the furthest point he could have traveled without also decorating the kitchen tile and custom travertine in the foyer.

“Stop Charley…good boy…no, DON’T come over here…STOP, CHARLEY”.  Too late!

Red mulch, sand, and a few flower petals tracked in.  No quick vacuum, breathe…  I have to be somewhere!!

Okay, Sammie into the deep sink next to the washer.  Oh good, she fits and the “whitening” shampoo was already on the edge of the tub. In and out, no problem, just toss her towel in the washer.

Charley, O.M.G…well, he would not fit in the deep sink. The front half of Charley would not fit.  Plan B:  master bath, it was closest.  I commanded him to follow…nope, he started to sit down as we got to the bathroom door.  Not even a gentle tug on his collar.  Not even a firmer tub on his collar.  Couldn’t lift him in, could not push him in, so we got in together.  We had a bath; me in my under clothes and Charley in his newly acquired layered look courtesy of Mother Nature.

It went as well as expected…all bath towels now deposited in the washer and time to concentrate on the not quite dry very red mud and debris on the carpet.

If you haven’t seen a pet sitter in warp speed, this might be your first indication that we even have an internal gear shift.  The adrenaline kept my head clear while I spot cleaned, wiped and vacuumed the temporary trail. I wrote a letter of apology and left for my afternoon’s scheduled visits. As I drove away, I had that sinking feeling of failed duty in my stomach, but I chose to concentrate on the fact that she would be returning to two very clean dogs.

She has hired me back numerous times over the years, we’ve become quite close and I am now considered family.  I attend her son’s soccer games and we meet now and then for supper.

I’m not taking blame or credit for her recent change of décor… but, the newly installed wood grain floors are a constant reminder of that eventful afternoon.








No comments:

Post a Comment