Tuesday, February 24, 2015

The Egg Lady


I’ve found that flexibility and an appreciation of the unexpected go hand and hand in my pet sitting venture.  This easy going philosophy is a constant reminder that I live life far too rigidly. I’m trying to embrace this new way of thinking, but sometimes it’s a challenge.

My interviews have become an informal exchange of questions and answers with owners, always in the presence of their animal companions.  On this appointment, the “interview” was more or less a quick tour and introduction as the owner was a friend and former colleague.  She knew that I knew all about multiple pets and the details would work themselves out.

Her three Dachshunds and one long hair Chihuahua were the best security system on the block and perhaps the whole subdivision! My quick intro moved from living room to kitchen, kitchen to yard and back to living room where I was invited to sit on the couch. A moment’s hesitation extended the invitation to include all four dogs.  “Blah, Blah, Yap, Blah, blah” was pretty much the extent of our conversation.  She admonished with an occasional “hush” and was quickly over ruled by Heidi who was the matriarch of the pack.  Before I left, I asked about their meal time “They have open feeding and are very good eaters” I was told.

Now, I’m not a fan of “open feeding”.  My experience is food in, food out (in rather short order).  Animals left alone for extended periods without outside access are problematic when not in the company of their pet parents. It is much less strain on them if they eat when I am there and I tailor their feeding schedule regardless if it’s a single meal or multiple throughout the twelve to eighteen hours I am on duty.

An inventory of the cabinet and pantry included “Milkbones, Dingos, Jerky and beef flavored rawhide knots which will bring a smile to my readers who have invited dog companions into their hearts.

I soon learned that snack time was not restricted but rather encouraged.  Most of their day was spent in the kitchen; they roomed together in a large comfortable kennel with gated access to food and water. If you need a visual, just consider a coral in miniature, alright?

Trial and error is unwelcome at 6:00 A. M! I arrived with written instructions to include a schedule of daily routine.  Fool proof, or so I thought.  We got through the going outside part.  As long as I blocked the reentry they were stranded on the lawn until duty was done. Scanning the notes for other than the obvious, I read “4 bowls, kibble, change water, ice cubes okay”.  Got it. Four bowls arranged at equidistant intervals and an automatic water fountain would keep them busy. They wouldn’t even notice I was there.

I stepped outside the gated area and sat at the kitchen table to supervise.  Heidi and Roxie went back to sleep in their blanketed tunnel.  Zack and Willow followed me and busied themselves with sniffing my shoes and growling, taking care to back under the table out of my reach.  I had instructions, I had an agenda.  They were not following the rules.

The fridge had eggs and margarine.  I found the frying pan and spatula and could operate the electric stove without rummaging through the drawer to locate the appliance warranty booklet.

Heidi and Roxie woke up and joined the other two who had now moved as close to me and the stove as possible.  Eight eyes watching me, four tails in rhythmic pattern against the lower cabinets and four noses raised to investigate that yummy smell.

Hot breakfast in a sunny kitchen.  Happy pups, relieved sitter. Success!  Success.. which became a daily ritual and over the years, a tradition.

My friend has a new tradition of her own…

She leaves my favorite snacks and a new carton of eggs on the top shelf of her refrigerator.  She tells them to be good because the “egg lady” is coming.  And every visit, through the years, they continued to be very, VERY good.










No comments:

Post a Comment