Saturday, March 29, 2014

A Lap Full of Laughter

Occasionally I care for a pair of lap sized Shih Tzu’s.  I have had the privilege of their companionship over the last several years.  They are the very well behaved pairing of “children” to a young professional couple who know me fondly as “Grammie”. That nick name was given me by someone whom I’ve never met. My client’s mother visits from Hawaii annually and apparently reads the journal pages I leave and hears stories from her daughter.  I like the title and it allows me complete authority to spoil the dogs.

Cali is their girl and Vegas the boy.  I haven’t inquired as to the choice of names. I never do…it’s not polite.  Cali is absolutely black with white and Vegas is a soft gray variety.  Each has its own framed photo displayed in the family room.

We have our own routine and over the years, my arrival means pampering and frequent walks.  I am in constant contact via phone regarding any changes in diet, health or routine.  Shih Tzu’s, I have found out, have health challenges particular to the breed. Being of short, long stature, they have spine injuries (pinched nerves) and if their coats are trimmed to breed standard, the eyes can suffer from overexposure to bright sunlight.

Keeping these qualities in mind, our walks have been limited to evening only and Vegas is not always allowed to jump into my lap. A ramp has been added to the porch steps and their cupboard is kept stocked with whatever prescription is needed for pain relief.
I understand that Cali will don a pair of “Doggles” in the near future…special dark glasses which I think will look like the old swim goggles of my youth, but I’ll let you know.

When we are inside and the toy box has been tipped over and its contents scattered to resemble an obstacle course, we busy ourselves with games of hide and seek.  I have to remain limber in order to recover those favorite items now located under the furniture.

Sometimes, we just veg to whatever is on the television.  I try to choose appropriate channels so as not to upset my charges.  Animal Planet is a good one and we always enjoy HGTV and in the very early morning, I tune in to “Dog the Bounty Hunter”, but only because of the title…Ehemmmmmm!

Rumbling storms frequent the area year round and this is problematic for Cali, because she is hypersensitive to thunder.  She used to refuse to go out in the rain, but I’ve been somewhat successful in helping her overcome that.  It just takes initiative and the patience to stand out in the rain with her. It’s during these times of waiting out the weather, that we have created our sing along. It’s a cappella (meaning there is no accompaniment) and it’s heart felt.

I start with my rendition of “arooooohhhh” in a pattern of long and short versions. This is the voice of the Shih Tzu; it’s not a Beagle or German Shepard voice, neither Dachshund or Maltese.  It’s definitely a pitch which defines them.  I’m sure it’s audible from the outside of the front door.  The house has a lovely cathedral ceiling which encourages the blending of human and canine voices. Vegas chimes in and Cali rounds out the trio.  We reach a higher than acceptable decibel for inside voices and carry on this trio of nonsense for several minutes.  Once in a while, I stop and just listen to the duet.  I don’t understand why they continue without me, but I begin to giggle and then the humor overtakes me and shortly, I am laughing so loudly that it stops their activity and they just sit and watch while I try to regain my composure.

When completed, I am breathless and holding my sides while my two companions settle in to their nesting places aside me in the over sized recliner.  There we relax having used up all the available reserve combined energies. It’s nap time.  The storm continues and I view the magnificence from the skylight just over head.  Cali has long forgotten
her anxiousness and there’s no need for the Valium.

It’s a special bond we have and I don’t incorporate this musical intervention when caring for anyone else. Even Grammies have their favorites. 

No comments:

Post a Comment