Monday, March 17, 2014

Florida's First Iditarod Team

On the other end of the phone was a caller who had been referred by a client. This welcomed call inquired about my availability for a week in November.  She, her husband and son were booked on a cruise and their 5 animal companions needed care; four little dogs and their cat. “Glad to come” I said.

Yes they were little…two Silky Terriers (siblings), one Shih Tzu and a wider than usual terrier mix (similar to the double wide mobile homes I passed en route to their home). Their house however, was in a gated community and I’m guessing that they had two more than the HOA allowed, but again, they were little.  Belle, the cat, a grey Tabby, was ornamental in that she didn’t relate to people very well and stayed in their son’s room or on the covered hot tub if the weather permitting.

Our first meeting wasn’t. We were acquainted in that parent of middle schooler on the other side of the counter from the secretary of that middle school kind of way. I was the secretary.  So we weren’t strangers, exactly.  But being in the home environment of a casual acquaintance is completely different.  Personalities change when I am the visitor in the situation. 

I encourage misbehavior.  Clients don’t always consider it a good indication that I am a true professional.  Let me explain.  The animals have selective hearing when a new person enters the home.  The usual silent conversations owners have with their pets and the hand signals reserved for obedience are replaced by excited getting to know you sniffs and jumping on furniture and running to get their toys.

Funny thing, I think, how inviting a new person into a home with family pets causes disruption and embarrassment to the pet owner.  It seems perfectly logical to me that the dogs and cats, birds, etc. would want to get to know who I am.  On those occasions where the pets outnumber the people, the investigative process becomes comical.  Just for your benefit, I’ll give you a visual.

Three people, two very comfortable leather couches, assorted coffee tables and four curious dogs together enjoying conversation. “Get off the couch”…”now what were you saying”…”Honey, can you hold Louie”…”their food is located”…”Gizmo, come here boy”…”bedtime is”…”Where is Lilly?”…”No, Casey is the fat one”…”their leashes will be on the dryer”…”Louie, get off the couch”…”Lilly, where is that dog?”…”No, Lilly is the larger terrier”…”Gizmo, get down”…Well, you get the picture.

About an hour later, with notes in hand, I left smiling.  This would be a fun job.  Everyone was so energetic, a happy family.  I would be back within a week’s time and get re-acquainted with my charges.  And Belle?  She was the odd one, pretty much lived outside except for bad weather, when I could let her in at sunset.

First time through the garage door, I was greeted enthusiastically by all four pups.  Treats and additional notes were scattered about the top of the kitchen island and I paused just long enough to drop off the door opener, notes and my car keys and let them all outside.  The yard was interrupted by an in ground pool with separate deck. Each dog had made a path around the pool to a favorite spot along the fence. Two went left; one right and the fourth shadowed my every move.  Their routine lasted about 5 minutes and they were all back, underfoot and waiting for the next adventure.

We returned to the family room and couched it long enough to calm down and let me watch a little television.  Feeling confident, I said good bye, gave each a treat, read the last of the instructions and headed home.  “Easy enough,” I mused behind the steering wheel.  “No problem,” I told myself.

And it wasn’t (a problem) until…

I decided to take them walking.  Two retractable leashes and two old fashioned cloth leashes lined up in increasing size order on top of the dryer. Okay. Soon Louie, Lilly, Gizmo and Casey, from little to big all leashed together and eager to go.  I was tethered between the two pair, totally in control.  The garage door went up and we maneuvered between the cars on the driveway and into the street.  Thankfully mid -afternoon was a good time to go.  Kids and school busses were nowhere in sight. Business people had not come home from work yet and no other dog walkers on the horizon.

We headed up the street, trying to stay to the middle of the road so as not to alarm those who watch the world from the front windows.  We were at a comfortable pace and got two houses down when the leashes began to entwine.  Not the two cloth, short leashes (attached to Casey and Gizmo), the retractable ones (attached to the brother and sister pairing). I stopped, they stopped, I detangled two only to entangle two and so it went as we paraded down the street.  My left foot was the brake and my right the accelerator. The dogs continued on their walk until my demeanor changed from slightly amused to aggravated to hysterical laughter which prompted a halt to this absurd adventure.

And at that moment of clarity, I noticed a neighbor, who had come from his gated back yard, standing between his home and the next watching us.  His silence gave way to a hearty cackle, which gave into a belly laugh making him double over to slap his knees.

I smiled and continued to free myself from my temporary predicament.  He recovered long enough to ask me if my team and I were practicing to enter the Florida Iditarod.  I don’t remember my reply, doesn’t matter.  That neighbor was right on with his observation.  Why didn’t I think of attaching them to a skateboard or something?

Well we continued the walk in our stop and go fashion and once home and dogs safely inside, I gathered the ball of leashes and sat breathless pulling one from the other for the remainder of the afternoon’s visit. 

The next time we went in shifts and the neighbors did not come out to watch the parade, but I’m sure they talked about it for quite a while…





No comments:

Post a Comment